Friday, May 1, 2020

Computational Thinking

AGENDA














FUTURE OF TECH
What is tech doing in transforming lives? It is exciting time and we are part of it. Sophie the robot (speechless). Want our learners to be creatives and innovators.

DIGITAL TECHNOLOGIES
Teachers who are confident to deliver lessons online-turbo charge the tamariki learning.












Kia Takatū (looks engaging, signing up wasn't working for me so will try again later).

Computational Thinking: is an approach to problem solving. Taking apart a problem and figuring out how to attack it. 1: Decomposition-breaking something down. 2: Pattern Recognition-finding similarities to make predictions. 3: Abstraction-finding general principals that generate this patterns. 4: Algorithm Design-developing the step by step instructions that solve similar problems.
It is actually everywhere. Computational thinking increases tamariki confidence. It isn't an 'extra'. As a teacher I need to develop this skill more to support my tamariki.

I like the look of CS Unplugged will have to explore more of this website.

Great video explaining Algorithms

CODING I really enjoyed having time to explore the coding. I haven't done much of it and I am excited. Hoping to pop some activities up on our Site for the tamariki.
Hour of Code
Studio Code
Lightbot
Code.org

CREATE TIME






I was really excited about exploring Scratch but I ended up finding the whole experience quite challenging. It look me a long time to get started, I wasn't overly happy with my creation and then once the Manaiakalani Team had sorted out the 'sharing' option I couldn't get the code to embed. Hence I took a screen shot.

I have registered for the exam-bring on next Friday.

LEVEL 1 REVISION

4 comments:

  1. Kia Ora Michelle,
    I find scratch super challenging too but have found that having a tutu is the best way to go! My students end up teaching me more using that app than I do using it in a lesson. Hope all is going well with your home learning :)
    Nga mihi nui,
    Danni

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Michelle,
    Great to hear you have signed up for the exam.
    You have learnt and implemented so much with your learners. I feel you and your learners are just flying. Well done.
    Screenshot is a fallback I often use. You could also hyperlink the screenshot so as to share your scratch project that way.
    Ngā mihi,
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle,

    Great to hear that you have enjoyed the various coding activities offered on the day. I'm sorry to hear that you found Scratch challenging, and perhaps that's some feedback for me, to be clear and precise in my instructions.

    Screenshots are still a great way to share your evidence of learning, and like Maria said, you could always link to to your scratch project. I was really looking forward to seeing what you had created.

    Good luck with the exam on Friday!

    Venessa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kia ora Molly,
    I'm with you on Scratch. I really need to sit and have a good go at it. I did love Flappy Bird though. Do you think you will get your hub to get into coding? As Danni said the kids will learn and hep as well.
    Swotting for an exam huh? Does that bring you back to high school days?
    Mā te wā
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete